Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving Leftovers

We enjoyed another round of turkey and all the fixings today for lunch. So good! But, really only one leftover turkey meal is about all we can handle - at least in the same state.So I sat down and made a list of ideas of things to do with the leftover turkey etc. and then got to work dicing up the meat, separating out portions, and freezing.

Here is what we will be having in future weeks:

Turkey-Rice Soup Made with broth from cooking the bones after dinner. I just froze the broth with some turkey in it and will add onion, carrot, and rice when I pull it out for dinner.
Turkey-Black Bean Enchiladas I am going to go ahead and make these up tomorrow and probably have them early next week. If that does not work out, I will just pop them in the freezer too.
Turkey-Dressing Casserole I already layered Dressing, Turkey, Gravy and Mashed Potatoes using up the end of the dressing and potatoes in a casserole dish and put it in the freezer.
Turkey-Mushroom Chowder I am going to go ahead and make this up tomorrow too and probably have it early next week. If that does not work out, I will just pop it in the freezer too. I saved out some of the broth from cooking the bones for this.
Tortilla Soup I froze the remaining white meat turkey in some diced tomatoes and will pull it out in a few weeks. (I don't like to freeze dry cooked meat, I would have frozen in the broth but I had already used it all for other things.) I even taped the recipe to it so I would know what to do with it when I find it in the freezer.
Turkey and Gravy on toast or rice or eaten with a spoon (so good!). I used all the remaining turkey and gravy for this. It is still in the refrigerator as I am planning to have some for breakfast in the morning on GF toast with a little earth balance. Serious comfort food! There will still be alot left as I made a HUGE pot of gravy so I will probably freeze it in small portions for snacks or breakfasts.

And that accounts for every bit of my Turkey Day leftovers with nothing going to waste!

No comments: