Thursday, November 8, 2007

Spelt?

I was reading some GF blogs when I ran across Fresh Ginger talking about cooking with spelt. Hmm! I thought I heard that spelt had gluten in it, so I did a little looking around. Based on the below, I guess I will not eat spelt for now but maybe try it at some later point

What About SPELT? Spelt is an ancient grain related to wheat that was used as a staple food in early Europe. However spelt is now being cultivated again. It is more nutritious than wheat, but still contains gluten (a protein found in wheat.) Compared to wheat though, it is more easily digestible, rich in complex carbohydrates and fibre, and has a higher protein content than wheat. Some people with a wheat intolerance can tolerate spelt, but it is best AVOIDED during the initial stages of wheat free diet. If you have a wheat allergy, consult your doctor before eating spelt. from Food Allergy Initiative

No comments: