Sunday, June 22, 2008

Soy-free Mayonnaise

I posted previously about our brand of mayonnaise (Best Foods) and how it is gluten free - see earlier post. At the time, I was eating soy so it was ok that it is made from soybean oil.

However, when I gave up soy, I switched to Spectrum Canola Mayonnaise which I bought at PCC Natural Market. When I tasted it at first, I wasn't sure about it, but I have since decided that I like it. (And it does say Gluten Free on the label)

That jar is almost out so now I am looking for something else. Since I was at Fred Meyer, I decided to look at the mayo they had to see if they had one that would work. I got very excited when I spotted the Best Foods Canola Cholesterol Free Mayo that is of course made from canola oil instead of soybean oil. It was the same price as the regular Best Foods mayo as well. Fortunately, I took a minute to carefully look through the ingredients, and about halfway down it says Flavors(Soy). Oh well!

I just realized that I should have looked in the natural foods section while I was there to see if they had another option, instead of planning another trip to PCC.

9 comments:

Laurie Carlson said...

Mayonnaise isn't gluten free if it's made with vinegar derived from wheat. It took me a while to figure out that mayonnaise was causing me problems. I have to find a brand made with wine or cider vinegar.

Tamara said...

So are you saying that even if it is labeled as "gluten-free" on the package, it is not actually gluten-free? How can they do that?

Jen said...

I found a soy-free mayo at Thriftway. Not sure if you have that store where you live, but their "Western Family" brand has a canola mayo without soy. It was recommended to me by another GFSF friend who found it at Food 4 Less. HTH!

Anonymous said...

Vinegar does NOT have gluten in it. It is refined to such a degree that there is NO gluten in it. Read the celiac sites and you will see that this is true.

SO....grain vinegars DO NOT HAVE GLUTEN.

If mayo is bothering you it isn't gluten..it is something else.

Anonymous said...

Mayo does have modified food starch in it as a thickening agent and that could have gluten in it. Vinegar does have gluten in it but only if it's the malt vinegar type. Plain vinegar does not contain gluten.

Alexis said...

We are soy, dairy, gluten free also! I buy the canola mayo in the natural section at fred meyer's. I think it's made by spectrum? I am now experimenting in making homemade mayo!

Anonymous said...

This is why you should stay away from unhealthy canola oil

http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/new/canola.htm

dangers of eating Canola oil. Apparently it is made from rapeseed, which is supposedly highly toxic and has been shown to develop cancer in rats.
Some of the information circulating on the Internet states that canola oil causes endless maladies: joint pain, swelling, gum disease, constipation, hearing loss, heart disease, hair loss... the list goes on

Anonymous said...

the drugs BENADRYL and ADVIL contain SOY, I CALLED BOTH COMPANIES INFO LINES

Jackie Patti said...

Anyone know a soy-free canola-free and gluten-free mayo?