Here's a recipe we've been having a lot lately. I adapted it from a recipe I found in Cooking Light last fall but I simplified the ingredients. I also frequently use it for a framework for a baked rice dish, and can add whatever I have and whatever sounds good. I love that it is truly a one-pot meal.
Dirty Rice and Beans
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
(check your chicken broth to be sure!)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2-3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (or broth water mix)
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
3. Add bell pepper and onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Stir in rice; cook 30 seconds.
6. Add broth and remaining ingredients; bring to a simmer.
7. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.